SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Foreign Affairs Discussion Group -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: SARMAN who wrote (251214)12/10/2007 10:26:20 PM
From: Ruffian  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 281500
 
lol.i just post to Camels, its on auto............U Islamo-Pig...........



To: SARMAN who wrote (251214)12/11/2007 8:24:11 AM
From: Ruffian  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 281500
 
Report: Group Says Iran Hid and Later Resumed Nuclear Weapon Program in 2004

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

NEW YORK — Iran did shut down its nuclear weapons program in 2003 but restarted it a year later, moving and hiding the equipment to thwart international inspectors, according to an Iranian opposition group, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The group, the National Council of Resistance of Iran exposed the country's nuclear-fuel program in 2002 and now believes a newly released U.S. analysis is giving the wrong impression that Iran's nuclear program is not an urgent threat, the newspaper reported.

The U.S. National Intelligence Estimate published last week said Tehran shut down its weaponization program in 2003, contradicting an earlier report that the Islamic Republic was determined to build a nuclear bomb.

Read the Wall Street Journal report (subscription required)

The NCRI, considered by the United States and European Union to be a terrorist organization, has had a mixed record of accuracy with its claims about Iran's nuclear ambitions in the past, the Wall Street Journal said.

The NCRI, however, says it was added to the EU terrorist list under pressure from Tehran at a time when Western countries were trying to improve relations with Iran.

The group agrees that Iran's Supreme National Security Council decided to shut down its most important nuclear weapons research center in eastern Tehran, called Lavisan-Shian, in August 2003, the Journal said.

But the group, which claims it has sources inside Iran, told the paper the facility was broken into 11 fields of research, including projects to develop a nuclear trigger and shape weapons-grade uranium into a warhead.

"They scattered the weaponization program to other locations and restarted in 2004," Mohammad Mohaddessin, NCRI's foreign affairs chief, told the Wall Street Journal.

"Their strategy was that if the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) found any one piece of this research program, it would be possible to justify it as civilian. But so long as it was all together, they wouldn't be able to."

By the time international inspectors were allowed to visit the Lavisan site, the buildings Iran claimed were devoted to nuclear research had been torn down and the ground bulldozed, the paper reported.

The NCRI said the equipment was moved to another military compound known as the Center for Readiness and Advanced Technology, to Malek-Ashtar University Isfahan and to a defense ministry hospital in Tehran.

al may not be published, b



To: SARMAN who wrote (251214)12/11/2007 1:57:12 PM
From: SARMAN  Respond to of 281500
 
Phone confusion after Bush error
President Bush, flanked by Alphonse Jackson ( left) and Henry Paulson (right)
And the number is... Bush announces the mortgage aid plan
US homeowners searching for help with their mortgages struggled to get through on a telephone number that President Bush gave them on Thursday.

"I have a message for every homeowner worried about rising mortgage payments: the best you can do for your family is to call 1-800-995-HOPE," he said.

But those who went in search of hope got a busy signal - the president had given them the wrong number.

The number Bush gave was for the Freedom Christian Academy in Texas.

The school phone rang non-stop when Bush gave out the number.

"I've tried my best to give the correct number to these people when they called," the academy's Ms Karen Pulaski told the Dallas Morning News, having spoken to more than 50 people in an hour.

"But it got a little overwhelming because I couldn't do anything except answer these calls."

Ms Pulaski later disconnected the phone.

The correct number, White House aides later told reporters, was 1-888-995-HOPE.

Help at hand

For those that did get the right number, the help on offer could ease the pain of rising rates.

As part of the plan announced last week, rates will be frozen for hundreds of thousands of American homeowners for the next five years.

Banks' willingness to lend money to people with poor credit histories is behind the current credit crisis in the US.

The crisis has not only hit US homeowners but has also had a knock-on effect on the global financial sector.

However, some aid groups have attacked Mr Bush's plans, saying that not enough people will be helped by the voluntary agreement between banks and bondholders.