SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Formerly About Advanced Micro Devices -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: i-node who wrote (437482)12/2/2008 7:44:58 AM
From: Alighieri1 Recommendation  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1574054
 
I think you took my criticism a bit too literally -- I was referring to your commentary as bullshit, not the entire field of marketing. As I indicated, my wife's Masters was in marketing and the training paid off for her. And in fact, one of my friends as an undergrad was a Marketing major and is now a VP at that horrible American capitalist nightmare, Wal-Mart. So, I guess it works out well for some people.

You called it bullshit...even this post shows you contempt for it. In any case, when you dismiss the big 3s problem as "the unions" you confirm your very poor understanding of business.

Al



To: i-node who wrote (437482)12/2/2008 11:25:05 AM
From: Alighieri  Respond to of 1574054
 
Ford says CEO will work for $1 to get gov't loans

By TOM KRISHER and KIMBERLY S. JOHNSON, AP Auto Writers Tom Krisher And Kimberly S. Johnson, Ap Auto Writers – 13 mins ago
Turning Around Detroit Play Video CNBC – Turning Around Detroit

Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Ford Motor Company, testifies before the Reuters – Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Ford Motor Company, testifies before the Senate Banking, Housing and …

DETROIT – Ford Motor Co. will tell Congress that it plans to return to a pretax profit or break even in 2011 when its CEO appears before two legislative committees this week.

Also, CEO Alan Mulally said he'll work for $1 per year if the automaker has to take any government loan money.

The plans Ford submitted to Congress on Tuesday also say the company will cancel all management employees' 2009 bonuses and will not pay any merit increases for its North American salaried employees next year.

The company also said it will sell its five corporate aircraft. The CEOs of all three Detroit automakers were harshly criticized during congressional hearings last month for flying to Washington in separate corporate jets while seeking loan money.

Mulally said in an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday that Ford will emphasize its cost cutting efforts with the United Auto Workers union and will give much more detail to Congress than it did when lawmakers grilled the automakers' CEOs last month.

Mulally said Ford will seek $9 billion in government loans but may not need them. The Dearborn-based company has said it has enough cash to make it through next year without assistance.

As part of the plan submitted to Congress, Ford said it does not anticipate a liquidity crisis in 2009, "barring a bankruptcy by one of its domestic competitors or a more severe economic downturn that would further cripple automotive sales." The loan would provide a safeguard against worsening conditions, the company said.

The company said it will accelerate plans to roll out plug-in electric vehicles as part of its plan. The vehicles will come out starting in 2010 and include the Transit Connect small van and a car the size of the Ford Focus compact.

Ford also said it will accelerate plans for hybrid gas-electric vehicles.


The CEOs of the Detroit Three are scheduled to appear before congressional committees Thursday and Friday to seek a total of $25 billion in government loans. Chrysler LLC and General Motors Corp. have said they are perilously low on cash and need the government loans to survive the recession and the worst auto sales environment in 25 years.

Ford's plans to achieve profitability or break even by 2011 are based on industrywide sales estimates of 12.5 million units in 2009, 14.5 million in 2010 and 15.5 million in 2011. The seasonally adjusted annual sales rate dropped to 10.6 million vehicles in October.

Ford's plan calls for an investment of up to $14 billion to improve fuel efficiency over the next seven years. The company said would improve the overall efficiency of its fleet by an average of 14 percent in 2009.

Mulally also says he will encourage automakers and parts suppliers to join forces to develop new battery technologies in the U.S. for future electric cars so the country doesn't rely on foreign batteries.

Ford's plan said it will reduce its number of dealers by 606 to 3,790 by the end of the year. It will also trim the number of major sourcing suppliers it uses to 750 from 1,600.

Ford reiterated its intention to offload Volvo, by either selling the Swedish automaker or spinning it off into a separate company. Since 2007, Ford has sold its Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover lines. It also sold most of its stake in Madza.