SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Strategies & Market Trends : 2026 TeoTwawKi ... 2032 Darkest Interregnum -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: TobagoJack who wrote (139103)2/8/2018 1:59:25 PM
From: Elroy Jetson  Respond to of 218089
 
4 Million North China Homes Told to Kick Coal Habit as Nation Seeks Blue Skies - caixinglobal.com

But the program to remove coal heating is facing resistance from regional governments and residents when the replacement heating methods have failed to keep pace with the coal-fired removals.

This has led to some primary schools in northern areas were forced to have classes outdoors in freezing weather after their coal-fired stoves were dismantled.

Meanwhile, thousands of families in the northern province of Shanxi, in the heart of China’s coal belt, were secretly burning tree branches and coal to keep warm, after a government campaign to install gas heating systems failed to meet deadlines set for early December.

Worker in rural Renqiu, Hebei province, installs rickety natural gas pipelines in November 2016


The plan was announced by Environmental Protection Minister Li Ganjie at a national environmental conference on Tuesday. Li promised to make sufficient supplies of natural gas available to avoid disruption during a similar government drive late last year.

Since 2013, the ministry has pushed households and schools — mostly in North China — to give up coal and convert to natural gas and electricity. This came as the bouts of toxic air choking North China increased, particularly in the region that includes the Chinese capital, the northern port city of Tianjin, and Hebei province.

About 3.94 million households in 28 cities were told previously to switch to clean energy for cooking and heating in winter. That number is nearly 800,000 more than the ministry had planned for 2017, according to statistics released by the ministry on Dec. 24.

Li sought to downplay the scale of disruption from the earlier gas conversion drive, saying only 1,200 villages, or less than 5% of the villages surveyed by ministry officials in the 28 northern Chinese cities, had reported problems.

However, he acknowledged the backlash, and promised sufficient gas supplies this year. “Residential access to natural gas and electricity can be guaranteed by curbing demand from industrial users during peak times,” he said.

But the ministry appears to be at odds with local authorities in Hebei. The Hebei Provincial Development and Reform Commission, the regional economic planning agency, said no more households will be required to convert to clean energy in 2018, according to a provincial government document late last month that was seen by Caixin. One official from the commission told Caixin that there is a considerable backlog of homes that need to be fitted with gas heating systems.

One official with the Hebei provincial environmental protection department said they are required to promote clean energy use in the province in 2018, but they are still in talks with the ministry over how they should do this, given the problems that cropped up due to a severe shortage in gas supplies late last year.

The now famous "Frost Boy" in Hunan newspaper attending class in unheated classrooms after Chinese authorities remove coal stoves prematurely