SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Strategies & Market Trends : 2026 TeoTwawKi ... 2032 Darkest Interregnum -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: stsimon who wrote (148887)5/31/2019 8:06:49 AM
From: TobagoJack  Respond to of 220343
 
<<short opportunities>>

Let us see which companies team china black list, and de-risk the shorting protocol

Speculation made easy, 101

In the meantime, let us see if same sort of short opportunities show up in the London stock exchange

ft.com

Trump to threaten curb on intel sharing with UK over Huawei

US president to issue warning during three-day trip to Britain next week

The US has been urging its allies to take steps to ban Huawei equipment from their 5G networks © AFPDonald Trump will threaten to limit intelligence sharing with the UK if the British government allows Huawei to build part of the country’s 5G mobile network, a message he plans to deliver in person during his visit to London next week.

British and American officials said on Thursday that the US president had decided to raise the issue during his three-day visit to Britain after repeated efforts by his aides failed to convince some in the UK government to block the Chinese equipment supplier.

The Trump administration is taking steps to ban Huawei equipment from its 5G networks, and has been urging allies to do the same, warning that it could be used by Beijing for spying.

It has become one of the most sensitive bilateral issues between Mr Trump and Prime Minister Theresa May in recent months because of signs Britain was moving towards allowing Huawei to bid for the UK’s next-generation mobile network. One White House official said Huawei would “obviously be on the agenda”.

Another person involved in planning the trip said Mr Trump was ready to make his objections known both in public and in private. “The president is preparing to repeat the message that Chinese involvement in 5G could pose significant challenges for US-UK intelligence co-operation. He is prepared to go hard on this issue,” the person said.

Last month, leaked reports from the UK’s National Security Council suggested ministers were prepared to allow Huawei to build noncore parts of its 5G data networks, despite the frequent warnings from Washington. But US officials hope they still might be able to persuade Mrs May to overturn that decision.

John Bolton, the US national security adviser, said on Thursday that the British government had not reached a final decision about Huawei’s involvement. “These are the sorts of things you can’t resolve in one meeting,” he said. “The discussions continue — I’ve been in conversation with Mark Sedwill [head of the UK civil service] about this frequently — and I’m sure they will go on.”

Mr Bolton added that the US was prepared to accept “zero” risk allowing Huawei into its own national 5G infrastructure.

The US has signalled it was preparing to reassess intelligence sharing over the Huawei issue before, though Mr Trump’s threat would be a significant escalation, according to experts, especially if he decides to go public with the warning.

Shortly after Washington ordered its Huawei ban, Robert Strayer, a senior state department official, warned: “If other countries insert and allow untrusted vendors to build out and become the vendors for their 5G networks, we will have to reassess the ability for us to share information and be connected with them in the ways that we are today.”

Mr Trump’s direct intervention while in London would give ammunition to those in the UK cabinet who want to take a harder line towards the Chinese company.

“He wants to make it clear that the China 5G issue is very damaging as far as the US is concerned,” said Nile Gardiner, a foreign policy analyst at The Heritage Foundation think-tank in Washington.

Additional reporting by James Blitz in London



Donald Trump and the US-UK special relationship



To: stsimon who wrote (148887)5/31/2019 8:16:28 AM
From: TobagoJack  Respond to of 220343
 
And let us see if Germany chooses to go free of industrial vitamins

reuters.com

David Brunnstrom
3 MIN READ



BERLIN (Reuters) - The United States raised the pressure on Western allies in a war of attrition over next-generation networks on Friday, saying countries that allow China’s Huawei to build their telecoms infrastructure could be cut off from crucial intelligence data.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo issued the warning after meeting Foreign Minister Heiko Maas of Germany, which has so far stood with Britain and France in declining calls to ban the state-owned manufacturer from the 5G networks now being built.

In the latest sign of escalating trans-Atlantic tensions over trade and security, Pompeo, on the first leg of a five-day European tour, said that while countries would take a “sovereign decision” on which equipment to use, that decision would have consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT

“(There is) a risk we will have to change our behaviour in light of the fact that we can’t permit data on private citizens or data on national security to go across networks that we don’t have confidence (in),” he told a news conference.

Pompeo later met Chancellor Angela Merkel for brief talks before flying on to Switzerland, describing Germany as “a great, important partner and ally of the United States.”

Merkel had herself just flown back from the United States the night before after delivering a speech to graduating Harvard students in which she exhorted them to “tear down walls of ignorance” and to stand for truth over lies - words widely interpreted as veiled criticism of U.S. President Donald Trump.

“The U.S. is and remains our most important partner outside Europe,” Merkel told reporters ahead of the meeting. “We have many issues to discuss, since the world is not at rest,” she added, mentioning the challenge of preventing Iran acquiring nuclear weapons and hindering Iran’s “aggressive actions”.

Pompeo urged close ally Britain this month not to use Huawei’s technology to build new 5G networks because of concerns it could be a vehicle for Chinese spying.

The United States is at odds with its German allies on a host of issues, from trade to military spending and nuclear non-proliferation.

Pompeo’s visit had been scheduled earlier this month, but was called off at the last minute as tensions rose over Iran, on whose nuclear program Berlin and Washington differ.

Slideshow (17 Images)

A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman, responding to similar comments on Huawei made by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence in Canada on Thursday, said the United States had yet to prove that Huawei’s products presented a security risk.

“We hope that the United States can stop these mistaken actions which are not at all commensurate with their status and position as a big country,” said spokesman Geng Shuang.

Pompeo also urged Germany to follow Britain in proscribing Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah group and boost military spending.