To: Paul Engel who wrote (62817 ) 8/20/1998 6:54:00 AM From: Kealoha Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 186894
Paul: Intel Bites Dog, film at 11.... from the WSJ- August 19, 1998 Nat Semi Warns It Will Post Deep Losses for Next Periods By an INTERACTIVE JOURNAL Staff Reporter SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- National Semiconductor Corp. warned late Wednesday that results for the next two quarters will be weaker than expected due to continued weak demand for its chips. The chip maker said that results for the fiscal first quarter ending Aug. 30, and second quarter ending Nov. 29 may be below those of the recently completed fourth quarter. Excluding one-time charges, Nat Semi lost $69.3 million, or 42 cents a diluted share, on sales of $510 million in the fourth quarter. Analysts surveyed by First Call were expecting a loss of 39 cents a share for the current quarter. The company said it expects sales for the first quarter to decline between 8% and 10% from the fourth quarter with a resulting larger loss. Nat Semi said new-order rates picked up in the current quarter, but added that shipments in the current quarter have been impacted by weakness in overall semiconductor demand, including the personal-computer market. These lower shipments and the resulting lower capacity utilization of wafer-fabrication facilities, plus manufacturing transition costs for microprocessors, are expected to result in a deeper first-quarter loss, the company said. Last month, Nat Semi asked 13,000 employees to take 10 days off in an effort to cut costs. That followed an April announcement that it would slash 1,300 jobs, or 10% of its work force. Return to top of page | Format for printing Copyright c 1998 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.