SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Clinton's Scandals: Is this corruption the worst ever? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: DD™ who wrote (2929)8/24/1998 4:34:00 PM
From: Les H  Respond to of 13994
 
Zealots exploit raids to incite anti-West fury
By Colin Randall in Islamabad

PAKISTAN remained tense and confused yesterday as Muslim
extremists continued to exploit the American missile attack on
terrorist bases in neighbouring Afghanistan to incite anti-Western
feeling.

Foreign Office security advisers have
flown to Islamabad to consider what
further steps are needed to protect British
interests. Citizens with United Kingdom
passports have been urged to postpone
non-essential trips to Pakistan or, if
already in sensitive areas close to the
Afghan border, to leave as soon as it is
safe to travel.

American officials too have called for
heightened vigilance. Even before last
week's show of military strength they
were assessing a "flood of threats"
received since the embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania.

According to one report, the terrorist leader Osama bin Laden,
whose camps were the target of the air strikes in Afghanistan, has
offered a œ10,000 reward for any American killed in Pakistan. The
claim appeared in the Karachi-based newspaper Ummat, published
the day before the missiles were launched. The paper broke news of
the arrest of Mohammed Sadiq Howaidah, the embassy bombings
suspect, so the Americans are "not totally dismissive" of the report.

The air strikes have provoked an inevitably violent reaction in
Afghanistan, including the murder of an Italian United Nations
observer, who died after being shot on Friday.

Most if not all the British aide workers in the country - along with
Irish and New Zealand citizens, whose interests too are monitored
by the British High Commission in Islamabad - have now left.

Justin Cockerell, one of two Swiss International Red Cross workers
who have chosen to stay in Jalalabad, told The Telegraph by satellite
telephone that they had been given "certain guarantees" about their
safety by the ruling Taliban militia. Mr Cockerell, who is involved in
health projects, said: "I cannot say we are able to get out of our
delegation very much and we are keeping a very low profile. But we
are continuing our work without major impediment. I would not stay
if I did not feel safe."

In Pakistan there is concern that bitterness and division caused by
the American attacks could destabilise a country caught in a dilemma
between economic necessity and the need to show solidarity with
fellow Muslims. Deeply in debt, Pakistan has a steep International
Monetary Fund loan repayment to meet next month and may look to
Washington for support.

Hopes have risen recently that America may soon lift or ease the
economic sanctions imposed over Pakistan's nuclear adventures.
Cynics in Islamabad speculated that these factors might help to
explain the relatively restrained criticism of the American action.

Islamabad insists that it gave no co-operation to the Americans, even
though the missiles passed through Pakistani air space. But a
diplomatic source with close knowledge of Washington thinking said:
"This is a moderate Islamic state. The air strikes were politically
controversial and create pressures, but from our experience
Pakistan's instincts are with the West and against terrorism."

An illustration of those pressures is the extraordinary affair of the
non-existent stray missile. The prime minister has sacked his
intelligence chief, Manzoor Ahmed, and demoted Rustam Shah
Mohmand, chief secretary for the North-West Frontier Province, for
providing "wrong information".

Marcus Warren in Moscow writes: Vakha Arsanov, the
vice-president of the rebel republic of Chechnya, has called on
Muslims to take "decisive action against all Americans" in revenge
for the missile strikes, proclaiming President Clinton "terrorist
number one".

His remarks reflect the religious radicalism abroad in Russia's north
Caucasus. Even before the air strikes, tensions were high in
Chechnya and Dagestan, where the conservative Wahabbi sect has
a wide following.

The spiritual leader of Dagestan's Muslims, an outspoken opponent
of the Wahabbis, was killed by a bomb as he left Friday prayers in
the capital, Makhachkala.



To: DD™ who wrote (2929)8/24/1998 5:31:00 PM
From: DD™  Read Replies (3) | Respond to of 13994
 
CLINTON'S DITCH THE COUNTRY..

news.stocksmart.com

DD