SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Strategies & Market Trends : Graham and Doddsville -- Value Investing In The New Era -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: porcupine --''''> who wrote (1244)2/12/1999 5:49:00 PM
From: porcupine --''''>  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 1722
 
Mir's Last Stand?

Mir Prepares for Last Commander

Mir Prepares for Last Commander
By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV=
Associated Press Writer=
STAR CITY, Russia (AP) _ The next mission to Russia's
Mir space
station could be the last, and the aging outpost may finally
come down in August, a crew commander said Friday.
Viktor Afanasyev, 50, who will lead the crew due to
blast off
Feb. 20 for the station, still hopes he won't be the one to bid
farewell to the beloved Mir, the pride of Russia's space program
for 13 years.
''We hope that we will have a replacement,'' he said
at a news
conference at Star City, the cosmonauts' training center north
of Moscow.
Afsanayev's crew ends its mission on Mir on Aug. 23.
After they
leave, if no money is found to finance a replacement crew,
Mission Control will fire the engines on Mir's cargo ship to
send the station plummeting into the ocean.
Afanasyev, a Mir veteran with 357 days logged in two
stints on
the station, blasts off for Mir from the Baikonur cosmodrome in
Kazakstan with French astronaut Jean-Pierre Heignere and Slovak
Ivan Bella.
After an eight-day stay, Bella will return to Earth
with the
Mir's current commander, Gennady Padalka. Padalka's crew-mate,
Sergei Avdeyev, will stay aboard with Afanasyev and Heignere
through Aug. 23.
NASA has long urged Russia to forgo the Mir and commit
its
meager resources to the international space station, a 16-nation
project that is a year behind schedule because of Russia's
failure to build a key segment on time.
The government had planned to discard Mir in June, but
the
station was given three more years of life when a private
sponsor was reportedly found to pay for its operation, rather
than the cash-strapped government.
Russia's space chief Yuri Koptev, however, said
Thursday that
the mysterious investor so far had failed to come up with money.
The station has been running relatively trouble-free
since a
string of breakdowns and accidents in 1997 that culminated in a
near fatal collision with a cargo ship and led many to compare
Mir to a rusting jalopy.




To: porcupine --''''> who wrote (1244)2/12/1999 7:10:00 PM
From: porcupine --''''>  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1722
 
Japan Cuts [already negative] Interest Rates

[Given Japan's deflation rate, the real rate of interest on
Japanese short-term money is actually negative. In effect,
Japan is paying borrowers to borrow money. But, what private
for-profit institution would want to lend under such
circumstances? -- RR]

Japan Cuts Interest Rates
By MARTIN FACKLER=
Associated Press Writer=
TOKYO (AP) _ Japan's central bank cut the country's
already
record-low interest rates even further in an effort to end a
stubborn recession.
The Bank of Japan's policy board voted today to lower
the target
for overnight call money _ the rate banks charge each other for
overnight loans without collateral _ to 0.15 percent from 0.25
percent.
By cutting the target, which is a benchmark for rates
of
interest on other types of loans, the central bank hopes to
lower borrowing costs not only for banks but for companies and
individuals.
Speaking at a news conference after the move was
announced, Bank
of Japan Gov. Masaru Hayami said the cut will ''without a
doubt'' give a boost to corporate borrowing.
The new rate, announced after the close of markets in
Tokyo, is
the lowest ever in Japan.
By making it cheaper to borrow, the central bank said
it was
hoping to spur business activity as the economy continues to
show few signs of recovering on its own.
A rebound in spending could also drive up prices _
something the
bank seeks as it tries to pull the economy back from the brink
of a destructive deflationary spiral.
The move is also aimed at combating a recent rise in
long-term
interest rates, the bank said.
Yields on the benchmark 10-year Japanese government
bond have
surged to more than 2 percent from lows of near 0.7 percent late
last year, driven by concerns about Tokyo's ballooning budget
deficits. Today, the yield on the No. 210 government bond closed
at 2.080 percent.
The increases have sent stock prices tumbling in
recent sessions
as investors fretted the higher cost of borrowing could mortally
wound an economy already battling its worst recession since
World War II.
''I'm hoping that even if it is indirect (the latest
steps) will
have the effect of pulling down long-term interest rates,''
Hayami said.
When asked about the cut, Prime Minister Keizo Obuchi
told
reporters he wants the central bank to consider additional steps
to cap long-term rates.
The rate cut _ the second since September _ also
highlighted how
few options the Japanese government has left for reviving the
economy.
Key short-term interest rates now stand at close to
zero
percent, leaving little room for further cuts.
Meanwhile, successive stimulus spending packages have
driven
Japan's cumulative national debt to close to 110 percent of the
gross domestic product _ the highest ratio in the industrial
world.
In response, a few Japanese economists and officials
have begun
calling on the Bank of Japan to take the highly unorthodox step
of intentionally sparking inflation by freely printing new
money.
Hayami has so far brushed aside such suggestions.
Friday's decision does not affect the discount rate,
which is at
a record low of 0.5 percent. The discount rate is the central
bank's charge on loans to banks.



To: porcupine --''''> who wrote (1244)2/12/1999 10:15:00 PM
From: porcupine --''''>  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1722
 
GM looks to make air bags safer with new device

By Todd Nissen
CHICAGO., Feb 11 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp.
said on Thursday it will be the first automaker to offer
technology that stops a frontal air bag from deploying if a
small child is in the seat.
The new air bags will be introduced on the Cadillac Seville
early next year. Over the next three years the No. 1 automaker
plans to have it on a majority of its vehicles, GM North
America President Ronald Zarrella said at the Chicago Auto
Show.
GM said its system uses weight-based sensors and pattern
recognition technology that can tell the difference between a
small adult female and a child in a safety seat. If it is a
child weighing up to 66 pounds, either in a safety seat or not,
the air bag will not inflate.
"Yes, this thing can actually recognize your rear-end,"
Zarrella said during a speech.
GM said its system is safer than those that offer
dual-stage or multi-stage inflation rates to lessen the
deployment force.
Ford Motor Co. last month said it plans to offer in
future models an advanced restraint system that uses sensors to
measure the severity of an impending frontal collision, whether
or not the air bag is needed and at what force it should be
deployed.
Although proven to save lives, front-seat airbags were
initially tested with adults in mind and can be fatal to
small-stature adults or children riding in the front seat.
Government statistics show there have been 125 deaths
associated with front-seat air bags.
Ford has stepped up its use of safety as one of its product
attributes, but Zarrella said that is not GM's aim.
"Our objective is not to get a competitive advantage," he
said.
Separately, GM caused a stir Thursday around the issue of
side air bags by saying it had tested air bags in competitors
models that could cause serious harm to improperly restrained
children.
During a speech, Zarrella showed three video tapes of
children test dummies being thrown violently forward by the
force of a deploying side air bag. GM said its side air bags
are more safe because they have special vents that lessen the
impact when a child is riding in the seat.
GM would not identify the competitors it had tested. Side
air bags, which can reduce injuries to the head, chest and
pelvis, are offered in GM, Ford and many import models. There
have been no reports of side air bags causing serious injuries.
Ford said its own tests show that its side airbags pose a
very low risk to children sitting out of position.
"We are highly confident that our system poses an extremely
low risk to anyone, including out-of-position people or
occupants, children included," said Ford spokesman Terry
Bresnihan.