To: PaulM who wrote (33843 ) 5/14/1999 1:18:00 AM From: Alex Respond to of 116779
Chinese president suggests U.S. is pursuing global dominance Copyright © 1999 Nando Media Copyright © 1999 Associated Press • Nando's special in-depth coverage of the Israeli election. Nando's in-depth coverage of The Confrontation Over Kosovo. By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN BEIJING (May 13, 1999 8:51 p.m. EDT nandotimes.com ) - While praising victims of NATO's bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade as heroes, China's president accused the United States on Thursday of seeking global dominance and urged nations worldwide to defy American bullying. The harsh words showed just how much the embassy bombing in Yugoslavia has damaged Chinese political will for smooth U.S. relations - particularly since they came from President Jiang Zemin, who last year claimed credit for engineering a rapprochement with Washington. But in a sign China is willing to ease tensions, Jiang also agreed to speak to President Clinton for the first time since Saturday's embassy bombing. White House officials said they were working to arrange a telephone call between the two leaders, although it was not clear if it could take place by Friday. Jiang has so far avoided speaking to Clinton. But he conveyed his willingness to talk through the Chinese ambassador in Washington, who took a condolence book to the White House for Clinton to sign Thursday. At an emotional ceremony conferring the title of "revolutionary martyr" on the three victims of the bombing, Jiang outright called the United States a term China reserves for enemy countries - "hegemonist" - for the first time in three years of improving relations. Jiang said the United States was using its economic and technological superiority to aggressively expand its influence, pursue "power politics and wantonly interfere in the internal affairs of other countries." Jiang, who also heads the Communist Party, hinted that public protests around the U.S. Embassy that ended Tuesday could renew if Chinese demands for redress were not met. The United States and NATO must make formal apologies, thoroughly investigate the bombing and punish those responsible, the official Xinhua News Agency quoted him as saying. "Otherwise the Chinese people will never let the matter go." The state-sanctioned protests brought tens of thousands of Chinese into the streets in 20 cities, saw the U.S., British and Albanian embassies stoned and a U.S. consul's residence set on fire in the western city of Chengdu. In Beijing's embassy district, police removed road barriers Thursday, allowing cars and pedestrians to travel freely for the first time since the four-day protests began Saturday. Signs that guided the tens of thousands of protesters to the British and U.S. embassies were removed. Fearing further unrest, paramilitary police maintained a cordon around a two-block area near the U.S. Embassy, keeping foreign reporters and curious onlookers well away. The embassy itself was a mess after being pelted with rocks, bottles and paint bombs by the protesters. A day after the victims of last Friday's embassy bombing returned to Beijing, the communist leadership on Thursday honored the three killed, all journalists. "The great People's Republic of China can never be bullied," Jiang said, with the rest of the leadership arrayed around him and relatives of the dead and wounded in the audience. The war in Yugoslavia and the embassy bombing made more countries aware of the United States' quest for dominance, Jiang said. He appealed to them to unite to create "a just and rational new international order in the common struggle against hegemonism and power politics." Government support for the protests - biased media coverage, party groups busing students in and police standing by as demonstrators rampaged - have drawn criticism from U.S. officials. Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhu Bangzao assailed suggestions of government connivance as "unwarranted" and called the protests acts of understandable outrage. "This is natural, justifiable and brooks no questioning," Zhu told reporters. "We do not condemn or condone those lawbreaking activities. I'm sure you have seen what we have done in recent days," Zhu said, referring to the tighter security imposed Tuesday. With the protests over, U.S. officials were reassessing security plans and beginning to repair damage to the embassy and also to the consulates in Chengdu and the northeastern city of Shenyang, embassy spokesman Tom Cooney said. To aid that effort, the embassy and the two consulates will remain closed until at least Monday and the issuing of visas for work travel or study in the United States will be suspended indefinitely at the embassy and all four U.S. consulates in China, Cooney said. U.S. consulates in Guangzhou and Shanghai, which were not badly damaged during similar protests there, will reopen Friday. The White House also announced its nominee to become the new ambassador to China, retired Adm. Joseph W. Prueher. If confirmed by the Senate, he would replace Ambassador James Sasser in Beijing.