Victims ask U.S. firms to help end web violence By Ellen Wulfhorst NEW YORK, May 19 (Reuters) - The brother of convicted Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski, a victim of one of his bombings, and the mother of a victim of the Oklahoma City bombing made a plea on Wednesday for Internet companies to purge or block Web sites that carry recipes for building bombs. David Kaczynski, Unabomber victim Gary Wright and Marsha Kight, whose daughter died in the Oklahoma City blast, appeared at a news conference to ask America Online Inc <AOL.N>., , Microsoft Corp <MSFT.O>. , Walt Disney Co <DIS.N>. and Yahoo Inc <YHOO.O>. to police the vast array of Web sites on a voluntary basis. Access to violent sites, particularly by children, has come under sharp focus since the deadly April 20 attack in a Littleton, Colorado, high school, where one of the teen-age killers detailed the building of pipe bombs on the Web a year earlier. David Kaczynski, who has made few public statements since he exposed his brother as the Unabomber, said he saw a parallel between his and his wife's decision to turn his brother in to authorities and the issue that faces Internet companies. "It was absolutely agonizing for us to make the decision to turn in my brother," said Kaczynski, a social worker in upstate New York. "I'm glad we made the decision. I think it was the right decision. "I think it's much less agonizing for Internet companies, and they ought to do it," he said. His brother pleaded guilty last year to charges related to a 17-year string of bombings that killed three people and injured 29 others. David Kaczynski and his wife, Linda Patrik, tipped authorities after recognizing many of their reclusive relative's sentiments in the Unabomber's published manifesto. Wright, a Salt Lake City software executive, was injured when he picked up a Unabomber bomb behind a computer store where he worked in 1987. Kight's 23-year-old daughter died in the 1995 bombing of the Oklahoma City federal office building that killed 168 people. Writing letters to AOL, Microsoft, Disney, which is part owner of the Go Network, and Yahoo, the victims and a New York based group called the Center for Community Interest want host companies to scan for, and delete, bomb-making instructions and search engines to scan for, and block access to, such sites. Industry spokesmen said companies do what they can but questioned if it is possible to scan the content of every Web site, particularly if a bomb recipe, for example, contains just chemical ingredients and no violent or hateful language. "We don't tolerate any bomb-making information to be posted on AOL Web pages, chat rooms or any other areas of service," said AOL spokesman Andrew Weinstein. "When we find it, we remove it." The Go Network uses automated filters to find and block sites filled with hateful or violent language, said Amanda Higgins, a spokeswoman for Infoseek, the Sunnyvale, Cal. company that produces the network. "It's not 100 percent foolproof at this point," she said. "There's an awful lot of sites out there. "The Internet is still a relatively new medium," she added. "There's still a little bit of the wild, wild Web aspect of it." Dennis Saffran, head of CCI, which also has defended pornography shop restrictions and panhandling bans, said the call would not violate the constitutional right to free speech because they are seeking the voluntary cooperation of private companies rather than government regulation. But, he added, limited government regulation might be needed if companies don't participate on a voluntary basis. "We're giving every troubled kid out there the tools to become a Tim McVeigh (convicted and sentenced to death for the Oklahoma City Bombing) or a Ted Kaczynski," he said. David Kaczynski recently created a tax-exempt fund with the $1 million reward he got for turning in his brother, after tax restrictions prevented him from distributi... |