To: George Papadopoulos who wrote (15469 ) 12/9/1999 7:38:00 PM From: Nikole Wollerstein Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 17770
"As important as what we have learned is what we still do not know," said Assistant Secretary of State Harold Koh. "Five months after the U.N. and NATO arrived in Kosovo, we're still piecing together what is undeniably a widespread and systematic attempt to cleanse Kosovo of much of its Kosovar-Albanian population." From March through June, an estimated 10,000 Albanians were killed, 1.5 million expelled from their homes, tens of thousands of homes in 1,200 cities damaged or destroyed and summary executions held at 500 sites across Kosovo, according to the report condemning Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic. "This report is only a snapshot of the Milosevic regime's brutal, premeditated and systematic campaign," said the report called "Ethnic Cleansing in Kosovo: An Accounting." In a May report, the department had said at least 6,000 Kosovar Albanians were victims of mass murder, an unknown number died in individual killings, and an unknown number of bodies burned or destroyed by Serbian forces throughout the conflict. Thursday's follow-up report said it drew new information from accounts by refugees, the press and relief and other agencies working in Kosovo at the time, as well as declassified information from government and international organizations. "The evidence is also now clear that Serbian forces conducted a systematic campaign to burn or destroy bodies, or to bury the bodies, then rebury them to conceal evidence of Serbian crimes," the report said. "The number of victims whose bodies have been burned or destroyed may never be known," the report said. "But enough evidence has emerged to conclude that probably around 10,000 Kosovar Albanians were killed by Serbian forces." Others internationally have offered the same estimate, but the new 100-page report provides in catalog-style the locations and details of 500 towns where atrocities occurred. The bulk of the report dealt with killings, but it also included information on 10 other human rights abuses - forced expulsion, burning, looting, detentions, use of people as human shields, summary executions, the digging up of mass graves, systematic rape, attacks on medical patients and clinics and what officials called the new category of identity cleansing. Many Kosovar Albanians were stripped of their passports, car license plates, land titles and other documents. Officials said the report is part of an international effort to provide a comprehensive look at atrocities in Kosovo before NATO troops arrived, provide some answers for families of people still missing and lay groundwork for trials of the perpetrators. The report follows one issued last week by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, which said revenge-motivated violence has accelerated since NATO-led peacekeepers arrived in Kosovo following the air campaign against Milosevic's government. Such retribution has escalated in the last six months - the vast majority by ethnic Albanians seeking revenge against Serbs and other minorities.