SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Gold/Mining/Energy : Gold Price Monitor -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Enigma who wrote (83094)3/9/2002 12:42:21 PM
From: maceng2  Respond to of 117011
 
Nope, that motto has come through a lot of history and charity work. It's most appropriate in these troubles times. I hadn't realized a large proportion of the pearly "royalty" were wiped out by WW1 and WW2.

Or are you under the impression that our world leaders know what they are doing? World banks in particular??

Here is an interesting post on Fidelity...

Message 17174232



To: Enigma who wrote (83094)3/10/2002 12:45:12 PM
From: Richnorth  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 117011
 
Looks like a war with Iraq is just over the horizon. How will it affect gold?
====================

US call for 25,000 British troops for Iraq puts Blair in bind

LONDON -- The US has asked Britain to draw up plans for 25,000 troops to join a task force against Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, The Observer reported, even as British Premier Tony Blair holds talks here on Monday with US Vice-President Dick Cheney, insisting that he remains firmly behind the war on terror, but clearly caught in a bind.

According to reports which the government has failed to dampen, British involvement could lead to the resignation of senior Cabinet ministers.

The prospect of the US requesting support from British troops has raised new questions here about how far Mr Blair should go to preserve his vaunted 'special relationship' with US President George W. Bush, especially after his decision last week to slap tariffs on imports of foreign steel -- despite personal protests by Mr Blair -- widely seen as an embarrassing snub to the British leader.

A Downing Street spokesman said Mr Blair's talks with Mr Cheney would take in issues including 'the wider campaign on terrorism' and weapons of mass destruction.

But he denied The Observer report.

'No decisions have been taken yet alone any requests been made,' he said.

Under the plan, Britain would supply soldiers for an overall ground force of around 250,000 troops that would sweep into Iraq.

Mr Cheney, who will be in London on the first leg of a 10-day haul focusing on the Middle East crisis and the war on terror, has fresh evidence of Baghdad's involvement in weapons of mass destruction, the paper reported.

A British ministry of defence spokesman refused to comment on the report, but noted that 'we do have a close relationship with the Americans'.

He added: 'We will give them support wherever we can and this may take us into other areas.'

But a parliamentary motion expressing 'deep unease' at Britain's potential role in Iraq has already won the signatures of more than 70 MPs, including several former ministers.

Several Cabinet ministers are reported to be openly hostile to such action, insisting there is no evidence linking Saddam to Al-Qaeda.

Labour Party chairman Charles Clarke retorted: 'Reports of a Cabinet split on this are in fact completely wrong.'

But he added: 'Mr Blair would certainly urge caution, in the sense that any action of any kind needs to be taken fully cautiously... and is only likely to succeed if you have got the world community united in dealing with it.' -- AFP