SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Donkey's Inn -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Thomas M. who wrote (4052)7/3/2002 2:55:25 AM
From: Mephisto  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 15516
 
" RAWA has consistently emphasised the fact that the Taliban, Osama & Co., and other fundamentalist bands in Afghanistan are creatures of myopic US policies vis-à-vis the Afghan war of resistance against Soviet aggression. As long as such Frankenstein monsters were useful for the pursuance of US policies, successive US governments supported them and persistently turned a blind eye to the higher interests of the people of Afghanistan and to the consequences of such support for freedom and democracy in our country and the region.
RAWA takes great pride in the fact that we persistently condemned this US policy and never caved in to pressure nor "circumspection", nor to the lure political or financial opportunism."

rawasongs.fancymarketing.net

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas M, as the Afghan women know, the President of the United States is concerned with HIS interests
only. He embraces a war on terrorism because he believes a war will increase his popularity. On the other hand,
W and Rummy have never had an ounce of compassion in their hearts for the civilians who were hurt in his Bush's perpetual war with the rest of the world. Mephisto

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No US apology over wedding bombing

Afghans claim 40 killed, 100 hurt, prompting Karzai to
confront American officials in Kabul

Luke Harding, South Asia correspondent
Wednesday July 3, 2002
The Guardian

US military officials in Afghanistan have refused to apologise
following the mistaken bombing of an Afghan wedding party on
Monday which killed at least 30 people, insisting that aircraft
had come under sustained and hostile fire.

The incident prompted the Afghan president, Hamid Karzai, to
summon US military chiefs to his office and demand "all
necessary measures" be taken "not to harm innocent Afghan
civilians".


Afghans claim the wedding guests, who were celebrating near
Deh Rawud village, in the mountainous province of Oruzgan,
north of Kandahar, had been firing into the air - a Pashtun
wedding tradition - when American planes struck.

But a US spokesman claimed yesterday that the shooting was
"not consistent" with a wedding, saying that the planes had
come under attack.

"Normally when you think of celebratory fire... it's random, it's
sprayed, it's not directed at a specific target," said Colonel
Roger King at the US airbase at Bagram. "In this instance, the
people on board the aircraft felt that the weapons were tracking
them and were to engage them."

The US planes - including a B-52 bomber and an AC-130
helicopter gunship - dropped seven 2,000lb bombs, he added.

His unapologetic tone, after one of the worst blunders of the
US-led coalition's nine-month war in Afghanistan will infuriate
locals, who said most of the dead were women and children. At
least 40 others were injured.

Last night a US soldier was shot in the foot as an American
military convoy returning from the hospital in Kandahar where
wedding party victims were being treated came under fire. Col
King said the wounded soldier was taken to the US base at
Kandahar airport. Afghans travelling with the convoy returned fire
but it was not known if they hit any targets.

In Washington, the defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, said of
the bombing that any loss of innocent lives was a tragedy, but
said he would not know what had happened until the Afghan and
US investigators had reported. "I read in the paper there was a
wedding," Mr Rumsfeld said. "I just don't know the facts."

US troops appear to have been carrying out a major search for
Mullah Omar, the Taliban's fugitive leader.

The Afghan foreign minister, Abdullah Abdullah, said that 40
people, all civilians, had died, and that a further 100 were
wounded.

"In one village, there was a wedding party... a whole family of 25
people. No single person was left alive. This is the extent of the
damage," he said.

Raaz Mohammad, an official at the Oruzgan governor's office in
the provincial capital, Tarin Kowt, also put the death toll as high
as 40.

The Pentagon has admitted that one of its bombs was "errant"
and missed the target, but has refused to confirm that a missile
hit the wedding party.

American confusion is compounded by the fact that it is unclear
which plane was involved. The Pentagon confirmed that a B-52
bomber did drop seven "precision guided weapons" on a cave
complex, one of which missed the target. But the US claims
this hit an empty hillside. That still leaves questions about the
AC-130 gunship that returned what was claimed to be
anti-aircraft fire.

Mr Rumsfeld said he knew of no casualties, other than four
"young people" brought by their father to a US base, who were
then helicoptered to Kandahar for treatment. He did hint that
al-Qaida training manuals gave advice on how to discredit the
US in situations like this but added: "I have no reason to believe
that is the case this time."

Col King said the incident occurred during an operation to track
down wanted Taliban or al-Qaida personnel, arms and
documents.

He said: "The US government extends its deepest sympathies
to those who may have lost loved ones or who may have
suffered any injuries. Coalition military forces take extraordinary
measures to protect against civilian casualties."

US forces killed 15 people in the same province in January in a
firefight which they later admitted was "ill-advised".


guardian.co.uk