SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Foreign Affairs Discussion Group -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: JohnM who wrote (40546)8/28/2002 1:22:28 PM
From: LindyBill  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 281500
 
Talk about credibility issues.

Hey, John, why should I bother? When you want to make a point, you will quote from web logs, but the only source you will consider as accurate on a news story, if I post it, is the "New York Times."



To: JohnM who wrote (40546)8/28/2002 2:11:30 PM
From: Karen Lawrence  Respond to of 281500
 
Germans charge 9/11 suspect
Associated Press
chron.com
BERLIN - Federal prosecutors filed charges today against Mounir El Motassadeq, the only Sept. 11 suspect in custody in Germany, where several of the key hijackers were based.

The federal prosecutor's office in Karlsruhe said El Motassadeq was charged in a Hamburg superior court in "connection with his connection to the terror attacks on the United States," but did not announce specific charges.

El Motassadeq, 28, was picked up Nov. 28 at his Hamburg apartment on suspicions he had "intensive contacts" with the Sept. 11 hijackers who had been living in Hamburg, including alleged ringleader Mohamed Atta, Marwan Al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah.

Prosecutors in the past accused him of running Al-Shehhi's bank account, using it to finance the hijacker's stay in the United States and his flight training school in Florida.

El Motassadeq's name appeared on a U.S. list of 370 individuals and organizations with suspected links to the Sept. 11 attacks that Finnish financial authorities made public in October. When contacted at that time by The Associated Press, El Motassadeq angrily denied any involvement.

"All of this is false, I have nothing to do with this thing," he said before hanging up.

Germany has issued international arrest warrants for several other suspects, but El Motassadeq is the only person who has been arrested in the country in connection with the Sept. 11 attacks.

El Motassadeq has been an electrical engineering student at Hamburg's Technical University since 1995 -- the same school where Atta, 33, and Al-Shehhi, 23, studied before leaving Germany last year for the United States.

In an October television interview, El Motassadeq admitted having power of attorney on Al-Shehhi's account but said he never made any transfers. He said he knew Atta and some of the other hijackers, and visited the apartment where Atta, Al-Shehhi and others lived.

El Motassadeq said he had signed Atta's will, as did others at the al-Quds mosque.

From 1996 to 1998, El Motassadeq worked as a cleaner at the Hamburg airport and had access to secure areas and aircraft. He passed a routine security check in 1996 before starting the job.

After his arrest, it was also uncovered that El Motassadeq visited a nuclear plant near Hamburg in May 2001, as part of a university trip. The school said, however, that El Motassadeq had to be cajoled into coming and did not take any notes on the trip, which was part of a sightseeing tour of the city of Stade.