SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Foreign Affairs Discussion Group -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (105087)7/13/2003 12:24:53 PM
From: LindyBill  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 281500
 
I don't think this is an idle threat by the Israelis. The key is Bush. If he says, "OK", Arafat is gone.

Israel Calls Arafat Obstacle to Peace Effort
By JAMES BENNET - NEW YORK TIMES

JERUSALEM, July 12 - The Israeli government moved today to focus international blame on Yasir Arafat for setbacks in the Middle East peace efforts, urging European leaders to isolate the Palestinian leader and warning that it might eventually arrest or deport him.

On Tuesday, Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian prime minister, canceled a planned meeting with his Israeli counterpart, Ariel Sharon, after coming under sharp criticism from Mr. Arafat and other Palestinian officials who contended that he had botched negotiations with Israel.

Since then, while Mr. Abbas has largely withdrawn from public view, his allies have said that Israel must advance the peace efforts by making concessions ? like releasing large numbers of Palestinian prisoners ? that might strengthen Mr. Abbas's political standing.

But in advance of a visit to London on Sunday, Mr. Sharon said that Mr. Arafat was obstructing peace and that European leaders were making "a major mistake" by dealing with him.

"Every act of this nature only postpones the progress in the process," Mr. Sharon said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph. He said that the effect was to undermine Mr. Abbas.

Israeli officials said that, in recent contacts with the Bush administration, the Israeli government had said it might reconsider its policy of not arresting or deporting Mr. Arafat if he interfered with Mr. Abbas, known as Abu Mazen.

"If Arafat continues to attempt to scuttle the peace process and undermine Abu Mazen and his government, we will have no other recourse than to reconsider and discuss again the question of Arafat's status and position," said a senior official in Mr. Sharon's office.

For more than a year, the Bush administration has joined Israel in refusing to deal with Mr. Arafat. Under American, Israeli, and European pressure, Mr. Arafat reluctantly appointed Mr. Abbas prime minister this spring, and the Palestinian parliament confirmed him.

Though he had worked with Mr. Arafat for decades in the Palestinian leadership, Mr. Abbas was a critic of the armed Palestinian uprising. The Israeli and American governments embraced him as the alternative leader they were seeking.

Mr. Abbas has been careful to consult regularly with Mr. Arafat, but tension has increased between them as an American-backed peace plan has moved ahead. The tension burst into the open this week as Mr. Arafat and his allies accused Mr. Abbas of gaining almost nothing from Israel in exchange for an agreement two weeks ago by the main Palestinian factions to suspend violence.

While Mr. Abbas has strong international support and Mr. Arafat is shunned by the United States and others, Mr. Arafat has strong support among Palestinians, and Mr. Abbas risks being seen by them as an Israeli and American agent. Further isolating Mr. Arafat would only enhance that image, said Hisham Ahmed, a political scientist at Bir Zeit University in Ramallah.

"If Sharon tightens the siege and the isolation of Arafat, people will point the finger at Abu Mazen and his government," Mr. Ahmed said. Already, he said, "People constantly mock Abu Mazen and his government on the street."

He said that "the only one who could enable Abu Mazen to succeed is Sharon," listing steps like releasing Palestinian prisoners and removing Israeli military roadblocks.

Under the peace plan, Israel has withdrawn from parts of the Gaza Strip and most of the West Bank city of Bethlehem. It has said it will not pull back from other Palestinian areas until Mr. Abbas acts to suppress militant groups and collect their weapons. After a series of suicide bombings last year, Israel reoccupied Palestinian cities in the West Bank that it had ceded to Palestinian control.

Israel has also released about 280 Palestinian prisoners, and it says it is preparing to release some 300 more. Israel is not required by the peace plan to take that step, which is politically sensitive within Israel, but Mr. Sharon says he believes it will strengthen Mr. Abbas.

Muhammad Dahlan, Mr. Abbas's minister of security, told Israeli officials on Thursday that to help Mr. Abbas and the peace plan they must release many more of the roughly 5,800 prisoners they hold.

But the senior Israeli official said that any such step would be meaningless unless Mr. Arafat was stripped of all authority. "Even if you release all the prisoners and Arafat remains in position, nothing will happen," the senior Israeli official said. "He will take credit."

Mr. Sharon has said in the past that he was prevented from acting to deport Mr. Arafat by a pledge made to President Bush not to harm the Palestinian leader.
nytimes.com



To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (105087)7/13/2003 1:32:51 PM
From: epicure  Respond to of 281500
 
There you go again.
Saying I did something I didn't (forgetting? I think not. No linkage to forget...yet). Are you going to do that in every post that involves me, or just some very high percentage?

Message 19105805

The again, I suppose I can take your constant misstatements of everything I say (or think, or forget), as evidence that you really can't say much about what I actually say, or do, because I am right. Thank you Nadine.



To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (105087)7/14/2003 1:51:46 AM
From: KLP  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 281500
 
Alleged Al Qaeda Group Says Behind Iraq Attacks-TV
Sun Jul 13, 4:03 PM ET


(Note: Al-Qaeda in Iraq..... maybe they just hopped on a plane and flew in <some media and others would like us to believe this, wouldn't they?>....wonder if these were some of the 70,000 AQ that were in terrorist training camps....some of which were in Iraq....???)

story.news.yahoo.com

DUBAI (Reuters) - A group claiming to be linked to the al Qaeda network said in an audio tape aired on an Arab television station on Sunday that they and not the followers of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) were behind attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq (news - web sites).





"I swear by God no one from his (Saddam Hussein) followers carried out any jihad operations like he claims...they (attacks) are a result of our brothers in jihad," said the unidentified voice on the tape which was broadcast by Dubai-based Al Arabiya television.

The voice on the tape, which Arabiya aired along with a photograph of an unidentified white-bearded man wearing a turban, also warned of a new anti-U.S. attack in the days to come which would "break the back of America completely."

It was not clear if he was referring to an attack in Iraq or somewhere else.

The voice said the "Armed Islamic Movement for Al Qaeda, the Falluja Branch," a previously unheard of name, was behind the attacks and that its members were dispersed all over Iraq.

U.S. forces, who largely blame die-hard Saddam loyalists for the attacks which have killed 31 U.S. soldiers since May 1 -- have come under frequent fire in the Iraqi town of Falluja and other mainly Sunni Muslim town north and west of Baghdad Saddam's ousting in April.

Earlier this month, an audio tape said to be made by Saddam urged Iraqis to fight the U.S.-British occupation of the Arab country and warned Americans of more bloodshed to come.

Calling on U.S. forces to leave Iraq, the voice on the tape warned that "the end of America will be at the hands of Islam."

The voice prayed to God, "to grant success to our brothers who are dispersed in Iraq's governorates and in the countries of the world, (particularly) Sheikh Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) and Mullah Omar."

He ended the recording by stating the date July 10, 2003.

Earlier taped messages from Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden have been seen as signs of impending attacks. Mullah Omar, who headed Afghanistan (news - web sites)'s Taliban government that harboured al Qaeda slipped away during a U.S.-led war on Afghanistan.