SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : WCOM -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Erik H. East who wrote (2575)6/11/1998 2:10:00 PM
From: Anthony Wong  Respond to of 11568
 
WorldCom, MCI down on regulatory uncertainty
Thursday June 11, 1:23 pm Eastern Time
biz.yahoo.com



To: Erik H. East who wrote (2575)6/11/1998 2:11:00 PM
From: Anthony Wong  Respond to of 11568
 
MCI, WorldCom revising asset sale, lawsuit reveals
Thursday June 11, 1:54 pm Eastern Time
biz.yahoo.com



To: Erik H. East who wrote (2575)6/11/1998 2:21:00 PM
From: Anthony Wong  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 11568
 
(Bloomberg) Cable & Wireless Filed Suit to Keep MCI From Seeking Bidders

Bloomberg News
June 11, 1998, 10:12 a.m. PT

Cable & Wireless Filed Suit to Keep MCI From Seeking Bidders

Washington, June 11 (Bloomberg) -- Cable & Wireless Plc said
it filed a lawsuit against MCI Communications Corp. because it
expects the U.S. long-distance company to offer its wholesale
Internet unit and some additional assets to other bidders.

In a complaint filed yesterday in U.S. District Court in
Washington, Cable & Wireless said MCI is negotiating with
regulators to sell more of its Internet assets to get approval
for its $41.8 billion sale to WorldCom Inc.

MCI, the No. 2 U.S. long-distance company, said on May 28 it
would sell the wholesale operations -- which carries traffic for
Internet service providers -- to Cable & Wireless for $625
million in cash. Since then, European antitrust regulators have
said the sale wasn't enough to guarantee the combined company
won't have dominant control over Internet traffic.

''MCI and WorldCom have reopened or intend to reopen
negotiations for the of sale of the (wholesale) business in
violation of their contract, resulting in immediate, severe and
irreparable harm to Cable & Wireless,'' the U.K. phone company
said in the filing.

WorldCom and MCI have indicated they're willing to offer
more concessions than the sale to Cable & Wireless, said an EU
official close to the negotiations who asked for anonymity.

Cable & Wireless, Britain's second-largest phone company,
said it has exclusive rights to bid on any additional Internet
assets MCI may sell.

WorldCom's purchase of MCI requires the approval of the
European Commission as well as the U.S. Justice Department and
the Federal Communications Commission.

MCI shares fell 3/8 to 49 3/4 in midafternoon trading, while
WorldCom fell 1 1/8 to 42 15/16.

--Andrew Brooks (609) 279-4066 and Colleen McElroy (609) 279-4069