To: Anthony Wong who wrote (2593 ) 6/12/1998 5:56:00 PM From: Anthony Wong Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 11568
Cable & Wireless Loses Bid to Halt MCI Internet Sales Talks Bloomberg News June 12, 1998, 4:26 p.m. ET Cable & Wireless Loses Bid to Halt MCI Internet Sales Talks Washington, June 12 (Bloomberg) -- Cable & Wireless Plc lost a federal court bid to bar MCI Communications Corp. from selling its Internet assets to another buyer without first negotiating with the British telecommunications company. Cable & Wireless said it was told by MCI that the U.S. company was soliciting new bids for its Internet assets, including the Internet wholesale business that Cable & Wireless agreed to purchase last month for $625 million. MCI agreed to that sale in an unsuccessful attempt to win regulatory approval of its $40 billion acquisition by WorldCom Inc. Europe's chief antitrust regulator, Karel Van Miert, had called the Cable & Wireless sale an insufficient divestiture of Internet assets. ''They've told us they will go out for a rebid on assets that include those involved in this transaction,'' Charles Lettow, Cable and Wireless's lawyer told U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson. Jackson refused to grant a temporary order enforcing the May 28 agreement between MCI and Cable & Wireless, leaving MCI free to seek other bids for its Internet assets. MCI argued it didn't know the divestiture of the wholesale Internet business to Cable & Wireless wouldn't satisfy both U.S. and European antitrust enforcers. MCI lawyer Phillip Cohan said a restraining order would hamstring MCI's efforts to make divestitures acceptable to regulators. ''If this court were to grant the relief they request . . . . you'd be ordering the parties to negotiate in the best of good faith towards an objective that is totally unknown,'' Cohan said. --Anne Marie Squeo in Washington at 202-624-1862 jhr