SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : WCOM -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Anthony Wong who wrote (2829)7/8/1998 1:51:00 PM
From: Anthony Wong  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 11568
 
GTE to pursue lawsuit against MCI/WorldCom merger
Wednesday July 8, 1:14 pm Eastern Time

NEW YORK, July 8 (Reuters) - GTE Corp. (GTE - news), while expressing pleasure that MCI Communications Corp. (MCIC - news) is required to divest its Internet assets before merging with WorldCom Inc. (WCOM - news), said Wednesday it will pursue its lawsuit against the merger until all of its concerns are met.

Stamford, Conn.-based GTE, which lost the international bidding war for MCI last fall, filed suit in May to block the proposed $37 billion deal. GTE contended that the combined MCI-WorldCom would monopolize the Internet business and threaten competition in the long-distance telephone market.

Earlier on Wednesday, the European Commission cleared the MCI-WorldCom merger on the condition MCI sell its entire Internet business. MCI and WorldCom also agreed to certain non-compete and non-solicitation clauses which would prevent them from competing with the buyer of the assets for a limited period.

GTE said while many of its concerns have been addressed, it wants regulators to build ''adequate safeguards to ensure that the spin-out of MCI's Internet business will be durable and fully effective.''

GTE said it wants safeguards to prevent a combined WorldCom/MCI from recapturing the divested Internet customers who currently buy other services from MCI.

GTE also said the measures required by the anti-trust regulators do not address the ''serious competitive problems caused by this deal in long distance markets, where MCI and WorldCom are the second and fourth largest carriers.''

Regardless of the outcome in Europe, GTE said that it, along with other companies, will continue to press its claims about long distance issues before the Federal Communications Commission, the Justice Department and in the district court in the United States.