SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : WCOM -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Caxton Rhodes who wrote (2640)6/17/1998 5:30:00 PM
From: Anthony Wong  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 11568
 
Cable & Wireless To Review Options If MCI Deal Fails: CEO
June 17, 1998 2:14 PM

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Cable & Wireless PLC
(CWP) will review other alternatives if its proposed plan
to acquire the Internet-backbone assets of MCI
Communications Corp. (MCIC) does not work out,
according to Chief Executive Richard Brown.

Last week Cable & Wireless filed a complaint against
MCI, seeking to force the company to comply with its
agreement to sell its Internet-backbone service business
to Cable & Wireless for $625 million in cash.

"The situation we have now, the $625 million offer, is
something we like," Brown said in an interview on
CNBC Wednesday. "We knew it may very well change
and if it does, we may have to assess again what it is and
what it may cost."

The executive noted that representatives from both MCI
and Cable & Wireless are talking on a daily basis.

But the real decision is left to the government regulators
on both sides of the Atlantic, Brown said, noting that
there is a lot of speculation about the final outcome.

He said Cable & Wireless will continue to look for
opportunities on the Internet, which he believes is the
"future of communications.

"Outside of the U.S., we carry about one-third of the
world's Internet traffic," Brown said. "So if this doesn't
work out, by chance, we will find another way to
accomplish something similar."

-Nicole Ridgway; 201-938-5174